16 April, 2007

Greetings From Tokyo Japan







This is what I’m hoping will be the first of many reports and articles I put together to give sport fishermen around the world info about tackle, techniques, and species we get here in Japan. I’ve been here for almost five years and have had a good amount of angling experience mostly in Tokyo Bay and Sagami Bay. I also get down towards the Izu Peninsula in Shizuoka Prefecture and the Bosou Peninsula in Chiba Prefecture for big game jigging from time to time.


This time of year most lure fishermen in Tokyo Bay are going after Japanese sea bass, called ‘Suzuki’ in Japanese. Similar in appearance to a snook, these guys are a lot of fun to catch because they hit hard and fight hard. They can be taken at varying depths, typically upwards of 30 meters, as well as in the shallows against jetties, and at outflows from man made canals and natural river mouths.

There are two types of anglers who pursue these fish. Guys who like working the shoreline and guys who prefer to go out on a Japanese style party boat. I am of the later sort due to not having wheels of my own to get out to the good shoreline points. I can get to several boat docks by getting on a commuter train with my rods and tackle which is great being a resident of central Tokyo. An all day trip costs between 8500 and 12000 yen (that’s about 70-100 US) depending on which guide you go with. I patronize one that charges 8500 and has a really good reputation.

Del

No comments: